Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Franklin Park, the urban Wild

I live in an area of Boston called Jamaica Plain, which is blessed with a lot of green space. At the end of my street is my "woods". Parts of Franklin park are wild enough to host big hawks, raccons and coyotes, and many plants as well. I have taken to explore a certain part that is closest to my house, and am slowly getting to know it better and better.

On a day when it not rained for a few hours we took a walk in the park, and I was happy to recognize some of the plants I had learned on the week before at Spot pond. Even if the skies were gray the woods were illuminated with radiant spring green.

A mix of Lily-of-the-valley and Canada Mayflower covered the ground. I saw some white blooms, and found that Franklin Park also has its' dogwood trees, although the one you see here in the middle of the picture was broken after the winter storms.



Looking up, the canopy of oaks and black birches was not filled in yet.

Lily of the valley may be great in a garden, but it might soon outcompete the Mayflowers. I have also seen garden Vincas covering large areas in the park, and there are lots of Japanese Knotweed and bittersweet too.

This one I like to think of as my mystery flower - I've seen it in several seasons and several places but never been able to find out what it is. The leaves turn green soon and it likes the shade. Anyone knows what it is?


I love the double layer of Sarsaparilla and Mayflower or Lily of the valley.


And by a rock a little Sassafras tree is growing. I will keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get strangled by Green briar or Bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment