Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The woods of Småland, part 2

The Swedish landscape is known to be very beautiful, and I truly appreciate it. These days in the country side made me keenly aware of my need for a more permanent place where I can have direct access to the nature I crave. At some point in my future there's a little cabin waiting for me! And it's the woodlands and the lakes that are calling me. Others might need the ocean or the mountains, but I need the tall trees, filtering sunlight through, calm lakes surrounded by dark deep green, and an occasional meadow buzzing with critters.
I have grown to love the New England landscape as well and probably know it better in a botanical sense since that's where I started studying nature. Coming back to my home country, using my new eyes and aquired skills,  finding the same friends, or similar, is a lot of fun. Finding others that are exclusive to either continent is exciting.

We were very fortunate with the weather and spent almost the entire time outside. I explored with my new camera and had never to venture too far to find something worth seeing.

The view over the fields and meadows surrounding the house. Fireweed grows everywhere.

Some sort of Fritillary butterfly - there are so many.


Lady's Mantle growing wild in the grass.

"Moose grass" or älggräs lights up ditches and roadsides. Not sure if the moose really likes this...  Surprised to find that it is indeed Meadowsweet, or Spirea Ulmaria. Never knew I would find it here.


The house again, from another view, tucked in next to the forest.

Feverfew

Daisies

 and Chamomile.

Three different shrubs all growing in a wet ditch. At least one of them belongs to the Willow family.

Bluebells

Clovers come in many colors


 Yarrow - everywhere. Rölleka in Swedish. Queen Anne's lace as well.

And more of the Bedstraw - Gulmåra in Swedish.

Taking an afternoon walk. That's my sister-in-law with her daughter and my two boys.

 Purple Loosestrife, where it belongs. We call it Fackelblomster - Torch flower.

Swedish Solomon's Seal. Getrams!

And lots and lots of Heather.

I'm finding that this post is just getting longer and longer. I took about 600 pictures and I want to show almost all of them...
There will have to be a Sweden, part 3 as well, but before that, I might just pop in some pics from my recent trip to Maine - summer paradise by the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment